Getting it right? Are you being treated properly at work?

Earnings Max – Tax relief for healthcare staff in the National Health Service, private hospitals and nursing homes

Did you know that you may be eligible to claim tax relief for the following?
 your union subscription
 your professional fees (to the NMC or HCPC)
 your shoes and uniform

In addition to claiming tax relief for laundering your uniform and for NMC or HCPC fees, you are also entitled to 70% tax relief on your UNISON subscriptions. This is because UNISON was successful in securing this benefit after extensive negotiations with Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC). We were able to demonstrate that the union’s activities are largely directed at helping members of a profession to do their jobs more effectively, in the same way as other professional bodies.
If your tax affairs are in order, you could claim a tax refund for previous years too and HMRC will make an adjustment to your PAYE code for future years.
Remember tax relief only applies to 70% of your UNISON subscription. This is because other trade union activities we undertake on your behalf, such as negotiating, individual representation and campaigning on terms and conditions don’t qualify for tax relief.

How do I claim?
Complete our form and send it to your tax office.
Alternatively, detailed information on making a claim is available on the HMRC website: or you can call them on 0300 200 3300.
Further information